Should I contact the DA rather than an attorney as my company was embezzled?

Asked about 1 year ago - Seattle, WA

These people made big promises to me during which taking full advantage of me fully knowing I was in a diminished capacity which they helped along. They used and manipulated me. No contracts were ever signed. They used my money to pay for personal expenses. I have discovered that they also cooked my books, and messed with my tax return. They took my Quickbooks and let their accountant make strange changes.

1. Nelson Kuo Hua Lee

2

1

Answered . You should contact law enforcement to report the crime(s). However, keep in mind that the responsiveness of the police agency you contact will in part be determined by the amount of fraud/embezzlement as well as the ability of the police officer taking your report to understand the complexities of the crime(s). Shrinking budgets and staff also affect how your report is responded to, so be prepared for a police agency to tell you "your complaint is a civil one, not criminal." Therefore, if you can afford it, I would contact your business attorney and ask him/her to coordinate with law enforcement and help explain the financial crime(s) that took place. A business attorney will also be able to tell you if you have any civil remedies against the people who defrauded you. Don't call the prosecutor directly - he/she will only instruct you to first report the crime(s) to police. Prosecutors generally only get involved AFTER the police refer the matter to the prosecuting attorney's office for review/filing of charges. Good luck!

2. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

1

Answered . You should be talking to law enforcement and a business attorney. Not a criminal defense attorney. Good Luck to you and I am sorry this has happened.

3. Raymond George Wigell

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should consult with your attorney who will them advise and coordinate with law enforcement and the prosecutors office.