Should I contact an attorney?

Asked over 1 year ago - Clermont, FL

I was hit from behind by a Ford Excursion. The hit damaged my Nissan Quest putting a dent in the trunk. 2 hours later I'm experiencing lower back pains and a light headache. The driver at fault gave me all her information and stated " I'm 100% insured by All State". I also gave her my information and now I'm laying down because I can't seem to move at this point to make it to the E.R. I'm located in Florida

1. David H. Burns

Pro

10

Answered . First and foremost, you should seek proper medical attention. Perhaps a friend, co-worker or relative can take you to the E. R. or to an urgent care center. Secondly, schedule a free consultation with a Florida personal injury attorney regarding your legal rights.

2. Peter Scott Van Keuren

10

Answered . You should immediately go to the emergency room and get checked for serious injury. An added benefit is that the emergency room is legally able under the new PIP law to certify that you have sustained an "emergency medical condition" that will prevent your insurance company from reducing your PIP benefits.

Second, you should follow-up with the medical providers recommended by the emergency room physician.

Third, you should consult a local personal injury attorney to help you navigate and evaluate the various issues involved in such a claim.

3. Loren Weiss Pincus

Pro

8

Answered . I would absolutely recommend speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney. Even the simplest of accidents can have complex issues and the insurance company will try their best to minimize the value of your claim. There is also the possibility that the at-fault driver will change their stance/story once they have had time to think about the ramifications. I would be more than happy to speak with you to discuss your options at this point. My firm has the ability to handle cases across the state.

4. Dennis Michael Phillips

7

Answered . Address your injuries; and then get with an attorney so that you can file a police report and notify the relevant insurance companies. It sounds like you both left the scene without contacting the police; and I really wish you hadn't done that. It's not the end of the world; but it could cause problems (including a possible traffic criminal charge).

5. Jeffrey Robert Davis

7

Answered . Get a friend/family member to drive you to a hospital .Give them your auto insurance information to bill. Have someone take photos of your car and the crash scene if possible. Get on the phone with an injury lawyer as soon as you get some medical attention. Good luck and don't give a statement to any insurance company or investigator without speaking to a lawer first.

Pro

7

Answered . Yes. Retain a personal injury lawyer.

7. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

5

Answered . You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  8. Brian J Esposito

5

Answered . Get medical attention if you are still feeling pain. I would recommend you speaking to a Florida Car Accident Attorney.

9. Clifford M. Miller

Pro

3

Answered . This is an easy question. Yes, contact a lawyer if you were rear-ended in a motor vehicle crash and hurt.

10. Michael R Crosner

4

Answered . Listen to the excellent advice of the other attorneys - get emergency medical care & contact a local personal injury attorney ASAP