Should i contact a lawyer before i tell my husband im filing for divorce

Asked 7 months ago - Buffalo, NY

Married 19 years, 1 son is an adult.

1. David Zaslavsky

9

Best Answer

Answered . Absolutely. This way you will know where you stand regarding the legal questions of custody, support and the other myriad matters associated with a divorce.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

9

1

Answered . Yes. It is better to know what to do and what not to do. Your lawyer may want you to copy documents before you tell your spouse.

3. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

Pro

9

1

Answered . You should definitely have a consultation with a lawyer before you speak to your husband. You should learn your rights and obligations long before approaching your husband about the divorce.

4. Maria C. Tebano

9

1

Answered . You should definitely contact an attorney before you tell your husband that you want to file for divorce, so that you can have all your ducks in a row firs.t

5. Howard A. Schwartz

8

1

Answered . Difficult to answer. If you do consult with an attorney first, you should have a better idea about what you are entitled to. Good luck.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.
  6. Lee Alan Thompson

8

Answered . Without question you should talk to an attorney first. You don't want to take the chance assets will all of a sudden start disappearing. Plus, you may prompt your husband to file first.

7. Brad S. Margolis

3

1

Answered . All answers are correct here. But if you want to salvage your marriage then perhaps seek a marriage counselor rather than an attorney first. Either way a legal consultation is a great idea but I would hold off hiring the attorney unless an emergency is going on.

Good Luck