Should i contact a lawyer before i tell my husband im filing for divorce

Buffalo, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

Married 19 years, 1 son is an adult.

Absolutely. This way you will know where you stand regarding the legal questions of custody, support and the other myriad matters associated with a divorce.

I am an attorney with over a decade of experience in Matrimonial and Family Law with offices in Brooklyn and Manhattan. I have experience in all five boroughs as well is Nassau and Suffolk County. I can be reached any time at 347-289-5886. The opinion expressed in this ad based upon the limited information provided and do not indicate an attorney-client relationship

2. Difficult to answer. If you do consult with an attorney first, you should have a better idea about what you are entitled to. Good luck.

This answer is only for informational purposes and is not meant as legal advice.

3. Yes. It is better to know what to do and what not to do. Your lawyer may want you to copy documents before you tell your spouse.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

4. You should definitely have a consultation with a lawyer before you speak to your husband. You should learn your rights and obligations long before approaching your husband about the divorce.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact our office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. For more information, please see our website: <a href="http://www.LouisLSternbergLaw.com">Long Island Divorce Lawyer Louis Sternberg.</a>

5. You should definitely contact an attorney before you tell your husband that you want to file for divorce, so that you can have all your ducks in a row firs.t

6. Without question you should talk to an attorney first. You don't want to take the chance assets will all of a sudden start disappearing. Plus, you may prompt your husband to file first.

Attorneys on Avvo donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

7. All answers are correct here. But if you want to salvage your marriage then perhaps seek a marriage counselor rather than an attorney first. Either way a legal consultation is a great idea but I would hold off hiring the attorney unless an emergency is going on.

Good Luck

I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in NY so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction. IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY MARGOLIS BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points.