Should I contact a lawyer after being hit by woman running red light?

Asked 10 months ago - Hopewell Junction, NY

I will be out of work for at least 2 weeks, having diffiulty with my 4 year old daughter, seeking medical treatment and have the possibility of needing shoulder surgery.

1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

21

Answered . Absolutely contact a Personal Injury attorney and do so without delay! You also need to file "no-fault applications" with the insurance company covering the vehicle you were a passenger in - for yourself and for your children, and only have 30 days from the date of the accident in which to do so. The attorney you consult will help you with that. Good Luck.

2. Carol Lynn Schlitt

Pro

19

Answered . I am sorry to hear about the accident and you are able to make a full and fast recovery. You are already addressing the highest priority which is to take care of yourself.

Yes, you would benefit from contacting an attorney as soon as possible. If this accident happened in New York, you will automatically qualify for New York No Fault coverage. No Fault insurance will pay for your medical expenses, lost wages and related expenses. A good personal injury attorney can help you apply for No Fault and can handle the No Fault issues for you. You need to act promptly as you must file for No Fault within 30 days of the incident.

You can also pursue a claim for pain and suffering which can compensate you beyond No Fault insurance. Your attorney can investigate your claim and develop your case so you can receive the maximum compensation. We tell our clients that we will take care of the legal and I.nsurance issues so they can focus on their recovery.

I hope this information helps.

3. Craig A. Post

17

Answered . Yes and do it sooner than later. There are many aspects of personal injury claims that are time sensitive.

4. Anthony A. Ferrante

Pro

17

Answered . Yes. You should certainly consult with an attorney who can advise you as to your rights under the no fault law and help filing the required application etc.

Consultations are free and you will be in a much better position if you get some help. Good luck!

5. Elizabeth Taylor Herd

Pro

18

Answered . Absolutely!!! You should also make sure you get the needed treatment without gaps which the defense will use against you. Contact a local lawyer.

6. Miguel Amador

16

Answered . Yes. Use the AVVO Find A Lawyer feature to locate several local personal injury attorneys in your area. Most offer a free consultation and work for a low contingency fee. Speak to several and choose the one that suits you best based on experience and professionalism. Best of luck to you.

7. Eric Edward Rothstein

14

Answered . Contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP. You need to file your no-fault insurance claim form on your carrier within 30 days of the accident to get your medical bill and lost wages paid. You can seek pain and suffering damages from the woman you hit you if you show you suffered "serious injury" as that term in defined in the Insurance Law. Surgery alone is not "serious injury" but could be depending on how things turn out.

8. David Ian Schoen

Pro

13

Answered . Yes.

9. Michael Evan Greenspan

11

Answered . I am sorry to learn of your accident. You should contact an experienced trial lawyer who handles car accident cases in the Hudson Valley. A lawyer will be able to guide you through the process of completing an application for no fault benefits to ensure that your lost wages, medical bills and related expenses are covered by the appropriate insurance carrier. You have only 30 days from the date of the accident to file the no fault application so you do not want to delay doing so.

I suspect that an adjuster from the other vehicle's insurance company (or an investigator) has attempted to contact you to obtain a statement or if they are aggressive, have you sign a release in return for a small payment. Having an attorney on your side will protect you from such insurance company tactics.

A lawyer will be able to investigate the claim and provide the best possible strategy to obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries. There are time limits that have to be met to ensure that your rights are protected. The consultation with any of the attorneys who respond on Avvo will be free and if your case is accepted, the attorney will only be compensated at the conclusion of the case by a percentage of the recovery that is obtained. Take a look at the credentials of the attorneys who have taken the time to answer your question and contact one of us to discuss your case.

Good Luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

10. Yefim Rubinov

11

Answered . Without delay.

Pro

12

Answered . Yes. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

12. Robin Jean Gray

Pro

9

Answered . Yes. I would contact an attorney immediately. It appears that there are injuries for which you may be compensated and to provide proper medical care to your daughter.

13. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

9

Answered . You should consult with a local personal injury lawyer right away. You can use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" tab if you do not know any lawyers.

14. Michael Howard Joseph

5

Answered . Absolutely you need to hire a lawyer immediately. The car's insurance company is responsible to pay for all of your medical bills and lost earnings, but you only have 30 days from the day of the accident to file a no fault application. Also, if you are injured, you may entitled to compensation.

15. Daniel DeMaria

Pro

3

Answered . Yes, call a local New York attorney today!!!

16. Abraham Jaros

3

Answered . I suggest that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney so that they can evaluate your case and help you. Most personal injury attorneys will provide a free consultation.

17. Mitchell Jan Birzon

Pro

2

Answered . You should immediately consult with and retain an attorney. Your injuries were clearly caused by another Preston's negligence and may be quite serious. An attorney will guide you until such time as you either file a claim or otherwise.

One or more answers have been taken down.