Skip to main content

Should I contact a lawyer after being hit by woman running red light?

Hopewell Junction, NY |

I will be out of work for at least 2 weeks, having diffiulty with my 4 year old daughter, seeking medical treatment and have the possibility of needing shoulder surgery.

Attorney Answers 17

  1. Absolutely contact a Personal Injury attorney and do so without delay! You also need to file "no-fault applications" with the insurance company covering the vehicle you were a passenger in - for yourself and for your children, and only have 30 days from the date of the accident in which to do so. The attorney you consult will help you with that. Good Luck.

  2. Absolutely!!! You should also make sure you get the needed treatment without gaps which the defense will use against you. Contact a local lawyer.

  3. Yes and do it sooner than later. There are many aspects of personal injury claims that are time sensitive.

    Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

  4. Yes. You should certainly consult with an attorney who can advise you as to your rights under the no fault law and help filing the required application etc.

    Consultations are free and you will be in a much better position if you get some help. Good luck!

    The aforementioned opinion does not constitute legal advice and is for general educational purposes only. See an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction for competent legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through the within legal question and answer session.

  5. I am sorry to hear about the accident and you are able to make a full and fast recovery. You are already addressing the highest priority which is to take care of yourself.

    Yes, you would benefit from contacting an attorney as soon as possible. If this accident happened in New York, you will automatically qualify for New York No Fault coverage. No Fault insurance will pay for your medical expenses, lost wages and related expenses. A good personal injury attorney can help you apply for No Fault and can handle the No Fault issues for you. You need to act promptly as you must file for No Fault within 30 days of the incident.

    You can also pursue a claim for pain and suffering which can compensate you beyond No Fault insurance. Your attorney can investigate your claim and develop your case so you can receive the maximum compensation. We tell our clients that we will take care of the legal and I.nsurance issues so they can focus on their recovery.

    I hope this information helps.

    The Schlitt Law Firm and Carol L. Schlitt provide answers for informational purposes only. If this answer is helpful, please mark the “helpful” button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thank you. We are a plaintiffs-only, personal injury and medical malpractice law firm representing clients in the New York metropolitan area. We offer personal services built on the values of communication, education and responsiveness. Please understand that legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who has a familiarity with the law concerning your question. This answer does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. If you are in the New York metropolitan area, feel free to call us at 1-800-660-1466 or contact our website and I will see if we can help you.

  6. Contact a personal injury lawyer ASAP. You need to file your no-fault insurance claim form on your carrier within 30 days of the accident to get your medical bill and lost wages paid. You can seek pain and suffering damages from the woman you hit you if you show you suffered "serious injury" as that term in defined in the Insurance Law. Surgery alone is not "serious injury" but could be depending on how things turn out.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  7. Yes. Use the AVVO Find A Lawyer feature to locate several local personal injury attorneys in your area. Most offer a free consultation and work for a low contingency fee. Speak to several and choose the one that suits you best based on experience and professionalism. Best of luck to you.

  8. I am sorry to learn of your accident. You should contact an experienced trial lawyer who handles car accident cases in the Hudson Valley. A lawyer will be able to guide you through the process of completing an application for no fault benefits to ensure that your lost wages, medical bills and related expenses are covered by the appropriate insurance carrier. You have only 30 days from the date of the accident to file the no fault application so you do not want to delay doing so.

    I suspect that an adjuster from the other vehicle's insurance company (or an investigator) has attempted to contact you to obtain a statement or if they are aggressive, have you sign a release in return for a small payment. Having an attorney on your side will protect you from such insurance company tactics.

    A lawyer will be able to investigate the claim and provide the best possible strategy to obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries. There are time limits that have to be met to ensure that your rights are protected. The consultation with any of the attorneys who respond on Avvo will be free and if your case is accepted, the attorney will only be compensated at the conclusion of the case by a percentage of the recovery that is obtained. Take a look at the credentials of the attorneys who have taken the time to answer your question and contact one of us to discuss your case.

    Good Luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. The answer given is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for contacting an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction and obtaining legal advice from such an attorney.

  9. Yes. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo attorney with a low contingency fee. Good luck.

  10. You should consult with a local personal injury lawyer right away. You can use the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" tab if you do not know any lawyers.

  11. Yes. I would contact an attorney immediately. It appears that there are injuries for which you may be compensated and to provide proper medical care to your daughter.

    You may contact the Law Office of Robin J. Gray for further legal advice. Office (610) 689-0877; Fax (610) 689-0932; Cell (484) 769-5855; This answer is for informational purposes only. It does not establish an attorney client relationship.

  12. Absolutely you need to hire a lawyer immediately. The car's insurance company is responsible to pay for all of your medical bills and lost earnings, but you only have 30 days from the day of the accident to file a no fault application. Also, if you are injured, you may entitled to compensation.

  13. Yes, call a local New York attorney today!!!

    Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation. Merchant Law Group LLP:

  14. I suggest that you contact an experienced personal injury attorney so that they can evaluate your case and help you. Most personal injury attorneys will provide a free consultation.

    The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome.

  15. You should immediately consult with and retain an attorney. Your injuries were clearly caused by another Preston's negligence and may be quite serious. An attorney will guide you until such time as you either file a claim or otherwise.

    The responses provided to your questions are not legal advice, do not create any attorney client relationship, and are provided for informational purposes only.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics