Skip to main content

Should I consult a lawyer for possible medical malpractice?

New York, NY |

I had shoulder surgery in June 2012 in NY . Was arthroscopic procedure called decompression . It hasn't healed . Had a new MRI done and it shows a small labial tear . I am not sure if it was present before or not because my previous mi's did not have contrast . Not sure if the rd should of seen the tear during my surgery either , or if it's possible the rd caused the tear . I have no idea . I just know I am still in a lot of pain and it's frustrating to have a new tear . I also have a problem with the number of cortisone injections he is giving me . He's given me about 4 or 5 within a year in the same shoulder . I am going to see a new rd for 2nd opinion . Should I consult with a lawyer also ?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Best answer

    See what the second doctor says and go from there.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  2. It never hurts to consult with a lawyer to take a look at your records. What was the underlying injury to your shoulder that required the decompression in the first place? (It sounds like you probably had an issue with the rotator cuff.) How old are you? Have you been active in sports with a lot of overhead repetitive motion (I.e. tennis, baseball, etc.). ? Do you have a history of dislocations? There are a lot of factors that come into play and hopefully the second opinion will provide some clarity. Good luck.

    New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising

  3. Consult with a medical malpractice attorney and bring along any paperwork that you have.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  4. These are hard cases. A consult with a malpractice lawyer can't hurt, but he or she will want to know what the 2nd opinion doc thought. Good luck

  5. First of all, be aware that the statute of limitations in medical malpractice cases is 2.5 years. you have plenty of time to consult with an attorney. Your primary objective should be to find a competent orthopedist. With that said, tears are often missed on films, especially when no contrast is being used. The cortisone issue should also be promptly addressed, as it can impact on the healing process.

    The underlying facts for each situation are unique. Any responses given are for informational purposes only and are not designed or intended as professional legal advice, since any suggestions may not apply to your specific circumstance. This information exchange does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind. Should you determine that you need immediate legal assistance or action , you should contact your local Bar Association for a referral to an attorney in your area.

  6. A second opinion would be good, and an MRI with contrast would be helpful for a lawyer.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  7. you absolutely need an attorney and a 2d opinion, the atty who takes your case may want their own doctor to examine you, move quickly as statute can run as early as 2 yrs from the time of the malpractice.

  8. Yes. You should consult a malpractice attorney. You need to get all of your prior records an films as well as the video of the arthroscopy if available. The biggest issue will be whether you need a new surgery or not. If you don't need a surgery them the level of damages is not sufficient to warrant litigation.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics