Skip to main content

Should i change my name or wait?

Kansas City, MO |

I got my green card through marriage to a US citizen. Now i am a permanent recident filing for divorse. I am wondering if i should change my last name back to my maiden name during the divorse process or wait until the naturalization process? What would be easier, better? I am trying to avoid spending anymore money because i have heard that changing my name in the uscis records cost money. Please help me. Thanks!

Attorney Answers 4


Wait until you naturalization. Thereis no extra charge for changing your name.

Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

14 lawyers agree


Better to wait.

Law Offices of Hasbini 619-200.8986. Free on phone and in office consultation.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Don't complicate things, wait until you are naturalized.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


You are able to legally change your name when you file for naturalization. You write the new name you wish to use on the application form so it's fairly simple. The filing fee for naturalization is $680 unless you qualify for a fee waiver.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics