Should I change my LLC name or register a DBA?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Tracy, CA

My company makes different products, each with a distinct brand. The name of my LLC and the name of one of my product's is the same, which I no longer want. I want a new company name that is responsible for developing all the products. Should I change my LLC name or just register a DBA?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

9

Answered . You can do either. You can file a Certificate of Amendment with the Secretary of State for the existing LLC:

http://www.sos.ca.gov/business/llc/forms/llc-2.pdf

or you can just file a fictitious business name for the existing LLC under the name of the existing LLC.

Alternatively, you can create a completely new LLC.

2. Daniel Nathan Ballard

8

Answered . Q: "I want a new company name that is responsible for developing all the products."
    R: You first need to come up with a new company name that is not already being used or is not confusingly similar to one that's already being used. In short, you need to "clear the rights" and that's done by a trademark attorney. The brand identity of a company is often a key component of the company's success. Your own trademark attorney should discuss with you the pros and cons and changing your company's current name. Good luck.

3. Frank A. Natoli

Pro

8

Answered . Hi,

This is really a business question as legally you can do either.

Keep in mind that business names, product names, slogans/taglines, logos are all trademarks. If you intend on investing in these as "brands" conducting the proper trademark due diligence would be required before you make your state/county filings and certainly before you start spending any money promoting them.

I will link you to some helpful general trademark info below. Most lawyers here, including myself, offer free phone consults. I advise you discuss your particular plans with one to make sure you are on the right track.

Best regards,
    Frank
    Natoli-Lapin, LLC
    (see Disclaimer)

4. Bruce E. Burdick

Pro

Answered . I agree with Attorney Ballard that you need to back up and clear the propose brand name.

I disagree with your choice of options.There is a third, better option add that is to keep your company name add your existing brands and to adopt a new "house mark"and register that mark at the USPTO in all the classes of goods and services in which you do business.This gives you nationwide or, if followed by an International registration, even international coverage, not just the California coverage obtained from a California LLC.

Call for a free consultation or referral.