Should I challenge a potentially erroneous speeding citation issued by the Colorado State Patrol for 70 MPH in a 55 zone?

Asked over 1 year ago - Broomfield, CO

I was given the option to pay the citation within 20 days and have the points reduced from 4 to 2. I noticed today when reviewing the citation that there is a fine of $135 and a surcharge of $32. Additionally there is a standard $2.50 surcharge for DNA. I pulled up the most recent Colorado Motor Vehicle Law Resource Book (2012) that is available on It has a table outlining fines and surcharges. The $135 is correct, but according to that table my surcharge should have been $16 and not $32. If I pay the citation early to avoid the points I will be overpaying and already high fine by $16. This appears to be an error on the officer's part. Is this a technicality that presents legitimate grounds for a potential dismissal? Is it worth challenging? Thanks for your advice.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. John Lawrence Buckley

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . There is nothing about this error that would result in a dismissal. However, you may be able to go to the issuing court and make sure that you don't over pay.

    No answer here should be considered to form an attorney-client relationship. You should consult with a licensed... more
  2. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As a former judge, I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Buckley. A judge could NOT dismiss the case based on that technicality even if the judge WANTED to. All the judge could do was impose the lesser surcharge and impose a lesser fine. Additionally, the Judge has no authority to plea bargain the case for you. As this is an infraction ticket instead of a traffic offense, the DA doesn't usually get involved to plea bargain either. So, paying it in advance is your only REAL chance at a point reduction. I would simply pay it and get the 2-point reduction.

    The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in... more
  3. Brian B. Boal


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Agree with both of my colleagues. You may be able to call the court clerk and have them confirm that you were assessed the incorrect amount. If so, the clerk may be able to reduce the amount owed on the court computer to the correct amount, and you can take care of it without the inconvenience of having to go to court. If not, you're only out the time it took you to make the phone call.

    DISCLAIMER: This above communication is for general informational purposes only. It does NOT constitute legal... more

Related Topics

Speeding tickets

A speeding ticket is given for driving faster than the posted speed limit, including on roads with variable speed limits, which change with conditions.

Gregory Maurice Wagner

Speeding infractions

What to look for in defending you speeding infraction. Citation Look at citaion to see if officer has indicated what type of speed measuring device was use to determine the speed of the... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,676 answers this week

3,647 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,676 answers this week

3,647 attorneys answering