Should I call the probation officer?

Hartwell, GA |

I am estranged from my mother, who is currently on probation. I'm not sure what the offense was, but I do know that if she fails a drug test or violates her probation, she will be sent to jail for 5 years. I have recently discovered that she committed social security fraud, by cashing my brother's checks through forgery, after telling him that his checks ran out when he turned 18. She fraudulently cashed his last two checks. She is also still using drugs, and parks her car away from her house and out of view so it looks like she's never home for random tests. Though my brother hasn't (and probably won't) report the SS fraud, would a probation officer do anything if I called and informed them of the lengths my mother goes to avoid getting random tested? I know where she parks the car.

I would recommend you try and help your mother with her drug addiction issues and be supportive when she clearly needs help.

We've been trying to do that for the last 15 years.

Jail is not going to do any good for her in the short or long term. Talk to her about getting treatment for her drug problems. The PO will lock her up.

Generally speaking, the probation officer does not show up at a house, knock on the door and ask the probationer to pee in a cup. A phone call telling the probationer when and where to get a urine or blood test or to suffer the consequences of a refusal (which is marked as positive for drugs if the probationer fails to comply with the testing) is the normal case. Insofar as your brother's soical security checks, all the brother need do is to have his checks direct deposited into his own bank account or change the address where the checks are sent. It is your brother's decision whether he wants to pursue the financial loss he has suffered, not yours. If you are estranged from your mother, how are you coming by the information that she is on drugs, stealing from your brother and if and/or why she is parking her car somewhere other than her driveway? You know the probation officer would do something. What do you want done? Mom in prison or getting help? Either option may be out of your hands but it might do YOU and your brother worlds of good to go to a support group specifically dealing with helping children of addicted parents.

DISCLAIMER: This is a general interest posting on a public website, regarding general legal concepts. This posting is not, and should not be interpreted to be legal advice to anyone, or to create an attorney client relationship between the poster and anyone. There is no way the amount of information in a website posting could be sufficient for the poster to provide informed legal advice. If you have legal questions pertaining to your situation, you should discuss them with an attorney, in person, and in sufficient detail for that attorney to provide you with confidential, competent legal advice.

My brother informed me that this was happening. We've tried getting our mother the help she needs and she does just enough to get us to believe she's stopped using and goes right back to it. It's been a problem for 15 years. No matter what we've done, she's never been clean, and doesn't want to be.

Tina Marie Richards

Tina Marie Richards

One thing that I have learned over the years: The only person you can change is yourself. Concentrate your energies on how you can empower yourself so that you can survive the onslaught of your mother's chronic failure to address her own problems. If your brother is still living at home, I can see why you are so concerned, but he is over 18 and he can make his own decisions, too, if he has graduated high school and is no longer entitled to support from his parents. Try to encourage him to go with you to Al-anon, this website might help: www.al-anon.alateen.org/