Should i be worried of a civil demand letter?

Asked about 1 year ago - Albany, NY

I got a civil demand letter from Michael Ira Asen saying i have to pay $895 within 30 days. In which they are accusing me of shoplifting.
Here's what happened: I did 4 price changes at the merchandise store i worked at. I do not know how, but according to LP they have on tape when i typed in the wrong price amount on the computer. After i confessed, they made me write a statement letter that i signed, and a promissory note. Now looking back i should have not done that, i felt pressured and was not thinking clearly. They made me feel extremely guilty for what i have done. They were also recording everything. Now, the differences between what the items actually cost and what i charged the costumers was not even near $400.
So my question is, should i pay the full amount, or what should i do

1. Amanda K. Ambrose

3

Answered . You may not be required to pay, especially if there are no criminal charges pending. The store will have to enter into a civil judgment against you which will cost them more than the amount you allegedly owe, so it wont be financially feasible. Additionally, letting the store know you are represented by an attorney means you won't have the store be in direct contact with you to alleviate some of the pressure from the store.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

Answered . I advise my clients not to pay because he won't sue to collect.

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

3

Answered . You made a mistake at work, and you were made to pay for it? Or are you saying that you made the price changes with the intent to steal from the store? I think you should talk to an employment attorney.