Skip to main content

Should i be looking for an attorney

Ventura, CA |

i recently got a DUI and am under 21 i blew a .07 and did not spend the night in jail. im pretty sure i will not be appointed an attorney during court because it was an infraction. My issue is i was leaving for the army in a month and a half, a month before my court date. I will still be able to leave on time as long as i dont have an open case. if there will be a fine i can pay it before i leave but if put on probation i cannot join until it is completed. my question is am i better pleading guilty and hope for the best or look for an attorney that can help?

having my license suspended wouldnt prevent me from leaving but probation would. Having the case still open or pending would also prevent me from going.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Yes. Any time you are charged with a crime you need an attorney.


Yes, it is like buying a used car... You should get it checked out before you make a decision. Would be a little foolish to plead guilty if you are not guilty or the cops can't prove their case. Hireing an attorney is a wise investment to make sure you do the right thing.

Of course, every DUI case is different and you should consult an experienced DUI defense attorney in your area with questions regarding your specific case. It is always in your best interest to have a good DUI attorney represent you when you have been arrested for a DUI.


You need an attorney! You face a one year license suspension. An attorney can appear for you.
Call me. I practice in Ventura County.

Andrew Roberts
(818) 597-0633


You should contact an attorney. Your ticket may say that it is an infraction now, but the District Attorney can charge you with a misdemeanor (PC 23152(a) Driving under the influence of Alcohol/Drugs). If you do get charged with a misdemeanor and you plead guilty usually they do put you on probation. If you would like, you can contact me regarding your options. If you do hire an attorney, the attorney can appear in court on your behalf, whether you are here or not. The best solution in your situation may be to postpone your case till after you get back, depending on how long you will be gone.

Pante-a Nilchian

Pante-a Nilchian


I'm sorry, I meant 23152(a) VC (Vehicle Code).


Under no circumstances should you just plead guilty without speaking to private counsel. A .07 by itself isn't the best fact but you never know what an experienced lawyer might find you were not aware of. You also need to seriously consider how this could affect your army career. I have an office in ventura, happy to speak to you.

Brian michaels


I concur with the above Attorneys. I would recommend discussing your case further with a DUI defense attorney. Things can change charge wise once you appear in court. A DUI attorney can work with you and the case to try to get the best resolution possible, realizing your time constraints. Feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss further, as I handle DUI cases in Ventura.

Legal disclaimer: This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not establish an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established once a retainer agreement has been fully executed between you and this firm.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer