Should I be claiming workers compensation injury for carpal tunnel?

Two years ago my left hand was amputated as a result of a blood disorder. I returned to work a few months later as a unit secretary in a hospital (same title as before the amputation). However, my job duties changed; since I have returned I have basically, stocked carts for the recovery unit and just recently my co-worker was moved to another area (only two people in this department). I have had double the work for 6 months and was just recently diagnosed with carpal tunnel. I am now 49 years old. Is this considered a workers compensation case?

Portland, OR -

In order to have a compensable workers' compensation claim for carpal tunnel syndrome in Oregon, you must be able to prove that the cumulative effect of your work activity is the probable major (over 51%) contributing cause of your condition. You must prove this through medical evidence. I recommend you discuss with your doctor whether there is a relationship between your carpal tunnel syndrome and your work activity on a major contributing cause basis. If your doctor believes there is a relationship, you may have a compensable claim. Keep in mind that your work activity must be the primary cause, over all other potentially contributing causes. Please also keep in mind that you have only one year from when you knew or should have known (or were advised by a physician) that your condition was work related. This response is meant only as general information. For specific legal advise regarding your case, you should consult with a workers' compensation attorney in your area or the Oregon state ombudsman's office with the Workers' Compensation Division.

Please keep in mind that the information provided above applies only to workers' compensation claims in Oregon.

Michael J. Helfand

Michael J. Helfand

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Chicago, IL

Carpal tunnel is often a basis for a workers' compensation claim. Workers' comp covers most work-related injuries. Sit down with a work injury attorney in your area; they will be able to review all the facts of your case and help you file a claim. Keep in mind that there are time limits for filing, as well as time limits for notifying your employer of your injury. Consult with an attorney as soon as possible. I'm an Illinois workers' comp attorney, but I can refer you to someone in your area. I only recommend attorneys who focus their practice on work injury cases because I believe it gives you a better chance at success. Feel free to contact me anytime.

Jon L Gelman

Jon L Gelman

Workers' Compensation Lawyer - Wayne, NJ

Disorders due to repeated trauma have significantly increased both in number and proportion of total injuries to almost half of all reported occupational illnesses. These injuries are the result of repeated motion, vibration, or pressure. The courts have recognized that the modern workplace is technologically sophisticated and that ergonomics present new situations which have generated an epidemic of repetitive stress injuries. This category of illness includes carpal tunnel syndrome, synovitis, teno-synovitis, and bursitis. Consult an attorney who handles workers' compensation claims in your State.

Related Advice