Skip to main content

Should I ask the court for a Guardian Ad Litem?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Family law

My 9 yr old son stays at his fathers on the weekends. He leaves his son at home by himself, they sleep in an attic and they sleep together. Would a change in parenting plan be enough to prevent putting my 9 yr old at risk when he is at his fathers or should I ask for a GAL?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you believe that the environment in which he is residing during visitation poses a threat to his well being, you should Petition the court to modify the PP. You may ask for a GAL, but be warned, you will be expected to pay for the GAL -- there retainers can run anywhere form 2000 to 3000.

    The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing stated above should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation.

  2. Check out my AVVO Legal Guides on Modification of a Parenting Plan. Leaving the 9 year old alone may violate state law. You can make a referral to CPS, or you could even think about calling the police if your sone is left alone too long.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

  3. It is a good idea to seek a Modification sooner than later should you have a concern. You can ask the court to appoint a GAL so that your son's voice can be heard and best interest advocated for. Its a good idea to seek legal advice in preparing and filing for the Modification and appointment of a GAL.

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics