Should I apply for disability, get denied, then hire an attorney or hire an attorney before I apply the first time?

Asked about 3 years ago - Venice, FL

I had spinal surgery in 2007. I was out of work for 6 + months. I was laid off in 2/2010. I have been on unemployment since then. I fell and hurt myself again in 5/2011. I have been unable to do much of anything since then. I have had to take so much medication to dull the pain, I sleep all day and am dizzy and nauseous when I am awake. I cannot work like this.

1. Stephan John Freeman

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . I typically suggest you hire an attorney as early as possible. While it may cost you a fee at the end of a case, Social Security can be daunting. Going to an attorney early allows the attorney to obtain reports from treating doctors, and making other strategic decisions that may allow a quicker case, or at least a successful one. The only time I suggest waiting is if you are 55 or older, in which case you often have a better chance winning at the first level. However, even if you are 55 or older , I would suggest seeing an attorney to assess the likelihood of success at the initial level.

2. Daniel J. Rose

1

1

Answered . You should hire an attorney first and discuss your case.

3. Mark Andrew Touby

Pro

1

1

Answered . See an attorney. Many attorneys will give you a free consultation and you can at least get some information that will help you make a decision as to whether you want or need an attorney. You may want to consult with more than one as everyone has his/her own style and you will want someone that you feel comfortable speaking to about your medical conditions because you need to be completely forthcoming when speaking to your attorney.

4. Tolulope O. Kuteyi

1

1

Answered . Get an attorney. An experienced attorney can help you with the application process which may lead you to an early approval verses a denial. Either way it is better to have an attorney who knows your case from the beginning until your approval.