Should I apply for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals even if i don't have 5 years living here?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

I moved to U.S in 2010 because my family was scared of the violence that was happening in Guerrero. I was 15 when I moved here and have gone to school since. I was hoping I could apply for DACA so that I can obtain a job and go to college. Is there any possibility of doing this regardless of me not having 5 years here? What are my options.
Thank you for your answers.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tracie Lynn Klinke

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No, without meeting all the of the qualifications, you would simply be wasting your money. Hopefully we'll get more positive changes in the future, but for now, you are not eligible to apply for DACA.

    This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . No.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.... more
  3. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . WHy would you seek a program you know you do not qualify for?

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  4. Gloria Cardenas Conn


    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . No. If your deferred action is submitted and it is found to be fraudulent, you will likely be placed in removal proceedings. No ethical lawyer would represent you in your petition.

    This advise does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Deferred action

Deferred Action is a policy that allows qualifying immigrants to receive employment authorization and have removal proceedings delayed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,647 answers this week

2,269 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,647 answers this week

2,269 attorneys answering