Should I appeal and what is the chance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Verona, NJ

My husband and I married many years ago. His parents had a house. Some time after marriage, his name was added to his parent's house, but not mine. After that, it has been me who paid the mortgage. Before filing the divorce, we signed a PSA that he would pay me equity for that house and I pay no alimony to him. However, he later challenged the PSA because he did not sign it voluntarily and he got nothing from the PSA. "voluntarily" was explicitly stated in the PSA. The PSA was set aside by the judge. Should I appeal and what is my chance? He works but makes less than me.

1. Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

6

Answered . It sounds like there are a lot of issues in your case. The biggest one is that your ex managed to set aside the PSA, that's huge, normally courts don't allow that without some basis to stand on. I wish I could give you advice on the appeal but there is not enough information in your post to do that. Here is my advice, this page is for basic questions and advice. Your situation is far from basic. The best advice that I can give you is to go see an attorney. Were you represented by an attorney for your divorce?

2. Yolanda Navarrete

3

Answered . This is a very specific question which can't be answered without reviewing everything that has previously happened. You will need to have a formal consultation in order to obtain reliable advise.

3. Pablo N Blanco

2

Answered . I agree that this requires a fuller discussion so that your options can be discussed. I would be happy to meet with you for a consultation. I'm experienced in both family law and in appellate practice and I am in your area.

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

2

Answered . It' impossible to say without knowing more about the circumstances and reading the judge's decision. You should consult a local attorney and show the attorney your paperwork.

5. Brad Michael Micklin

Pro

Answered . You might be able to file a motion for reconsideration or an appeal but it's difficult to advise you on either issue without more information about the decision. Both applications have a time frame by which you must file so you should discuss this with an attorney immediately.

You should consider meeting with an attorney well-versed in these areas. I recommend you seek a law firm that concentrates in family law. This concentration allows the attorneys to better understand the issues and complexities of you matter.

Additionally, below are links to articles and information that may assist you with your case.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
    The Micklin Law Group
    187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
    Nutley, NJ 07110
    973-562-0100
    Brad@Micklinlawgroup.com
    www.micklinlawgroup.com