Should I appeal a dcas disqualification for character

Asked over 1 year ago - Babylon, NY

I had 3 arrests come up on my background check 2 for driving without a license and 1 for attempted possession of stolen property in the 5th all over 13 years and I didn't list them on the application can anything be done or should I just let it go

1. Marco Caviglia

2

Answered . I do not know what a dcas disqualification for character means, but if you were convicted of V&T misdemeanors, they are unclassified misdemeanors, but crimes nonetheless. Usually, mere traffic violations are ignored unless germaine to the employment sought to be filled. So while any associated points may have expired, the conviction will still remain. Computers never forget.

2. Dana Whitney Atchley

2

Answered . You should appeal your disqualification if it was solely on the basis of those convictions. New York has a law that prohibits both state agencies and private employers from denying someone employment on the basis of that person's prior criminal record unless the crimes that person was found guilty of either (a) bear a direct relationship to the specific duties of the job in question, or (b) employing that person would pose an unreasonable risk to public safety. See NY Corrections Law Article 23-A.

There is no guarantee that you will be successful in having this determination overturned, but it is worth appealing unless they stated other legitimate reasons for not hiring you that weren't related to your criminal record.

You should also immediately consult with a competent employment/labor law attorney because you have only a very short period of time to contest the DCAS determination (approximately 4 months).

Good luck, and stick up for yourself; the convictions you described don't sound - by themselves - like legitimate reasons for denying you a job unless the job has to do with being a security officer or someone who handles money.

3. Gaetano Parrinello

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You should contact a competent attorney immediately because of the very short statute of limitations described in the other answers to this question.