Should I answer 'yes' on visa application for conviction of a crime? If I have a infraction -- Evasion of fare.

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I am a F-1 visa student. I am in the US now. I forgot my student ID with free transportation pass on it and got caught. I was charged and the case is closed. They don't have any of my ID number nor my scanned fingerprint. I plan to leave the US in July and come back in Aug. I am wondering if this infraction will affect my visa? And if I might be rejected to enter in the airport? I know I may clear my record according to the court website. But is it necessary?Thank you!!

1. Kristina A. Gasson

6

Answered . Infractions in California do not count as convictions for immigration purposes. You can safely answer no to this question on your visa application as long as you don't have any other convictions on your record. I'll attach a great document explaining this. Good luck.

2. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . Although I tend to follow the theory that it doesn't hurt to say yes ... because telling the 'whole' truth is always the best policy ... I will defer to Ms. Gasson's answer.

By the way, records can not be 'cleared' from an immigration perspective.

Get a full certified copy of the court file before attempting to clear things.

3. Dean P Murray

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700