Should I agree to relinquish my right to legal action in exchange for a refund of escrow overcharges due me?

Seattle, WA |

I received a notice informing me that the escrow company, used in my home purchase, has a pending class action suit for overcharges. The next day I recieved a letter from a title insurance company offering me $1859.00, that they say I was overcharged at closing. The repayment comes with an agreement to not sue them and I have to agree to cooperate with any criminal prosecution as well as other stipulations.
I`m concerned that the overcharges may be greater than the title company states in their letter. What steps should I take to determine if the amounts I was charged are correct and should I agree to relinquish my rights in order to receive my refund?

Like any class action, you can "opt out" of a proposed settlement and bring your own lawsuit. You may get more, you may get less, but you will be paying your own attorneys what you're getting a free windfall from here by just going along with a settlement.

But unlike most class actions, you're not getting a $5 off coupon for your next purchase of car insurance or contact lenses. You're talking getting serious money for basically doing nothing.

My advice: take the money and run.

This answer is provided under the “Terms and Conditions of Use” (“ToU”), particularly ¶9 which states that any information provided is not intended as legal advice or to create an attorney-client relationship between you and me or any other attorney. Such information is intended for general informational purposes only and should be used only as a starting point for addressing your legal issues. In particular, my answers and those of others are not a substitute for an in-person or telephone consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction about your specific legal issue, and you should not rely solely upon Legal Information you obtain from this website or other resources which may be linked to an answer for informational purposes. You understand that questions and answers or other postings to the Site are not confidential and are not subject to attorney-client privilege. The full Avvo ToU are set forth at . In addition, while similar legal principles often apply in many states, I am only licensed to practice in the State of New York and Federal Courts. Any general information I provide about non-New York laws should be checked with an attorney licensed to practice in your State. Lastly, New York State Court rules (22 NYCRR Part 1200, Rule 7.1) also require me to inform you that my answers and attorney profile posted on the site may be considered "attorney advertising" and that "prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome".