Should accept money from spouse without "official"/court ordered child/spousal support arrangements?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lancaster, CA

I have moved out (it's been 2 weeks) with our 2 children. My husband handed me a check for $250.00 (with nothing in the memo). I am hesitant on cashing the check as there has been no filing for a divorce (as of yet) and NO temporary child/spousal support arrangement(s) made prior to me moving out? By cashing the check, is this accepting a informal payment arrangement? If I cash the check, is this possible my spouse can use this against me in court?

... I am planning on sending it back to him.

1. Gregory Paul Benton

7

1

Best Answer

Answered . Acceptance of the check and cashing of the check will not mean that you have accepted any formal payment arrangements for child support. Child support is set by a formula already in law based upon each person's income, time of the children with the non-custodial parent, and other factors. The court uses a Dissomaster program to set statutory child support monthly. You are free to use the check for your current child support needs. I suggest that you file the divorce papers immediately and request a hearing on child custody, visitaiton and support ASAP.

2. Nadine Marie Jett

5

1

Answered . Never send money back. Child support is an obligation that runs from your ex to the child. It might be an overpayment, it might be an underpayment. Keep it.

3. James Joseph Bagley

5

1

Answered . Don't send it back. Keep it and be grateful that your spouse is willing to start payment without a court order. Once the divorce process starts and the child support amount is established through the proper channels then you may start receiving less or more.