Skip to main content

Should a lawyer tell a client that your final doctor's report don't matter when it come to settling a workers comp case.

Palos Hills, IL |

I was injured on the job oct.19th 2012 i'm a nurse assistant I was changing a resident on the floor and felt something pop in my back I was off work for a week I went back on light duty in February I was sent home on worker comp never received a check until mid may all together I received 3 checks then another company took my case over corvel originally it was Sedgwick after corvel took over my checks stop all the lawyer could say was he's working on so I said settle my case and he told me oh we settle the case without because it wouldn't make a difference excuse me I need surgery on my back because my disc is out it's a 8.4 outage and he sit and tell me it wouldn't matter i'm pissed I feel he doesn't have my best intrest at all what can I do i'm tired of his bs

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you have an attorney, we can't give you advice.

    What I can say is I would suspect there is a question o f causation of your back injury in the medical reports. I am guessing it is not 100% certain that all doctors agree you n eed surgery or that it is as a result of this work-related incident.

    Your case, like most workers' comp cases I handle, is disputed in some way. It means whatever settlement you achieve will often be a compromise.

    You should sit down with your lawyer for an explanation of all the pros and cons of going to trial. If you don't get answers, retain a new lawyer to replace this one, but don't expect the evidence to change.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client relationship created or formed and you should not rely on this as legal advice. The suggestion is made that if you wish to protect your rights, you consult with an attorney immediately.

  2. I agree that you should sit down with your atty and discuss what's good or bad about your case first so you have a complete picture of where things stand. If you can't get the attorney to do that you can always find someone else

  3. Please read my comment.

    Candiano Law Office

    Charles J. Candiano
    53 West Jackson Blvd.
    Suite 1337
    Chicago, IL 60604
    (888) 373-9964 toll-free
    (312) 465-2914 telephone
    (312) 624--8184 fax


    If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics