Should a lawyer tell a client that your final doctor's report don't matter when it come to settling a workers comp case.

Asked over 1 year ago - Palos Hills, IL

I was injured on the job oct.19th 2012 i'm a nurse assistant I was changing a resident on the floor and felt something pop in my back I was off work for a week I went back on light duty in February I was sent home on worker comp never received a check until mid may all together I received 3 checks then another company took my case over corvel originally it was Sedgwick after corvel took over my checks stop all the lawyer could say was he's working on so I said settle my case and he told me oh we settle the case without because it wouldn't make a difference excuse me I need surgery on my back because my disc is out it's a 8.4 outage and he sit and tell me it wouldn't matter i'm pissed I feel he doesn't have my best intrest at all what can I do i'm tired of his bs

1. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

3

Answered . If you have an attorney, we can't give you advice.

What I can say is I would suspect there is a question o f causation of your back injury in the medical reports. I am guessing it is not 100% certain that all doctors agree you n eed surgery or that it is as a result of this work-related incident.

Your case, like most workers' comp cases I handle, is disputed in some way. It means whatever settlement you achieve will often be a compromise.

You should sit down with your lawyer for an explanation of all the pros and cons of going to trial. If you don't get answers, retain a new lawyer to replace this one, but don't expect the evidence to change.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

2. Charles Joseph Michael Candiano

Pro

Answered . Please read my comment.

Candiano Law Office

Charles J. Candiano
    53 West Jackson Blvd.
    Suite 1337
    Chicago, IL 60604
    (888) 373-9964 toll-free
    (312) 465-2914 telephone
    (312) 624--8184 fax

website: www.CandianoLaw.com
    email: CJCandiano@CandianoLaw.com

3. John M Connell

Pro

2

Answered . I agree that you should sit down with your atty and discuss what's good or bad about your case first so you have a complete picture of where things stand. If you can't get the attorney to do that you can always find someone else