Should a landlord be responsible for adding security measures (e.g. adding locks) when there may be crime risks to the property?

Asked about 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I live in a 3-floor building w/ 2 front building entrance doors & a 6-foot back gate. My room is next to the back door of the unit & my landlord's room is close to the unit front door.It happened for 3 times the upper deadbolt on the back unit door was unlocked at night but the lower knob lock stays fine. I concern about safety, someone may go through the back gate of the building, the type doesn't prevent people from coming in, pump/pick the deadbolt.

I told her what happened to the backdoor although nothing's stolen. She's unwilling to pay for changing the deadbolt & adding a chain lock - she's okay with me doing all these - and she wanted to wait for it to happen again to ensure there WAS a thief. I want to move out b/c I don't feel safe but she says I can't since I signed the lease

1. Emma Lee Scott

2

Best Answer

Answered . Landlords in Chicago are required to "maintain windows, exterior doors or basement hatchways in sound condition and repair and substantially tight and to provide locks or security devices as required by the municipal code, including deadlatch locks, deadbolt locks, sash or ventilation locks, and front door windows or peepholes;" (CRLTO 5-12-110).

I recommend consulting an attorney to discuss this issue in more detail, specifically whether or not the locks and security you have currently comply with the City of Chicago Building Code. If they do not comply, you may be able to make the repairs and deduct them from your rent.

However, if you are going to repair and deduct, I highly recommend having an attorney help you with the formal procedure so it complies with the CRLTO and you don't run into problems for not paying rent.

2. Judy A. Goldstein

1

Answered . The advice you have been given is excellent. Additionally, if all you are looking for is a new lock and chain lock, the cost of same would be less than hiring an attorney.

3. Brandy Ann Peeples

Pro

1

Answered . My colleague is correct. I'll add that depending on your state's laws, a landlord might have a duty to ensure the safety of his tenants if there's a propensity for criminal activity in the area.