Skip to main content

Should a 4 visa holder stay in the same residence / place as her spouse who is the primary 1 holder ?

Richardson, TX |

I am currently enrolled in a masters program and it takes me 60 miles to travel to n fro from my university.My husband recently joined in the company so he cannot change his job for another 4-6 months. I would like to move to the campus housing.

I am a H4 holder and my spouse is the primary H1 holder

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I do not see a problem. As long as your in a viable marriage and you have to temporarily undergo a commutter marriage for the stated reasons. Your H-4 is tied to his H-1B and your marriage. As long as your still married, and it remains viable your fine. The level of scrutiny on a green card application is higher on a unorthodox/commutter marriage. On an H-1B/H-4 is must less lower in almost none and its sounds you have a reasonable explanation/reason. Good luck.


No problem.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


No problems.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree with my colleagues. You should consult an experienced immigration attorney for this matter. You may schedule a consultation with an immigration lawyer in your area, my firm is handling these matters in New York. If you would like free legal updates on these immigration issues you may sign up for our newsletter at .

Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer