Shoplifting deferred action immigration?

Asked about 2 years ago - Knoxville, TN

I was brought to the U.S. at 3 months old. I am now 22 with 2 children, I graduated highschool in '07. I got a ticket for shoplifting an eyeliner at a k-mart when I was 19. I plead guilty with an explanation. I was never arrested, I paid the fine of one hundred dollars. This is the only incident on my record? Would this jeopardize me from being included in the new deferred action policy? Should I get a lawyer to file?

Additional information

More info on ticket: obviously I made a mistake and I'm not innocent. I did take a receipt with proof I paid for everything else. I think the judge lowered my fine because of this. Do my u.s. citizen children give me any equity in fighting this? Can I try to get this expunged? never had contact with law enforcement except this one time.

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Norman Delton McKellar

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . I agree with the other attorney responses. Simply put, it's too early to tell since the definition of "significant misdemeanor" is still a work in progress. Contact an immigration attorney to discuss this matter and stay informed as these new regulations develop.

  2. Neil Ian Fleischer

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . We do not know for sure, but it seems it will bea problem
    For more info on what we DO know see link below

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . It could. It depends on how USCIS will define "significant misdemeanor."

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Steven Sahag Vosbikian


    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should retain an immigration attorney and have him/her obtain the certified disposition. From there, he/she can vet the case out as to whether or not you should go ahead and file.

    VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry... more
  5. Ari J Sauer


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Anyone with any criminal convictions should hire an attorney for this process.

    Here is an explanation of what we know so far as to what criminal violations will make someone ineligible for deferred action under this rule:

    Ari Sauer
    Siskind Susser Law Firm
    1028 Oakhaven Rd.
    Memphis, TN 38119

    For a consultation appointment call 901-682-6455. The information here is for educational purposes only and should... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,808 answers this week

3,102 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,808 answers this week

3,102 attorneys answering