Shoplifting charges

Asked almost 7 years ago - Washington

I got caught shoplifting 5 shirts at a value of $50 each from a department store. I am just wondering what I am looking forward to as far as court fees, and charges. I have never been in trouble before and I was very cooperative with security.

I got caught shoplifting 5 shirts at a value of $35 each from a department store. I am just wondering what I am looking forward to as far as court fees, and charges. I have never been in trouble before and I was very cooperative with security

1. Jeffrey Alan Lustick

Pro

1

7

Answered . Consider seeking a compromise of misdemeanor. Since you have no prior arrests or convictions for theft or shoplifting, you probably qualify, so long as the merchant consents. You pay the merchant civil restitution, about $200 plus the full value of what you tried to take, and then the merchant signs a release of the charges. The court then examines the release and dismisses the case against you. You serve no jail, get no probation, and pay only the restitution. Best of all, you get no criminal record. I recommend you pursue this through a defense lawyer.

2. Norman Scott Stewart

2

1

Answered . In the state of Washington the theft of property valued at less than $250.00 is Theft in the Third Degree, a Gross Misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $5,000.00 fine. These are, obviously, maximum penalties. The actual penalty imposed by a court as a result of a conviction for Theft 3 will depend upon a number of factors including the defendant's prior criminal history. Typically the court will impose the maximum sentence with some portion suspended on the condition that the defendant comply with the terms of his or her sentence. These terms can include no criminal law violations, stay away from the victim store, community service, drug/alcohol treatment, etc. Another option available on a Theft 3 charge is a compromise of misdemeanor under R.C.W. 10.22, this statute allows a case to be dismissed where there is a civil remedy for the charge and the victim has been compensated. It is important that anyone accused of a theft / shoplifting charge speak with an attorney as soon as possible so that he or she can explain all available opitions and provide complte advice on the case.

3. Gurjit S Pandher

1

3

Answered . You will probably be charged with Theft in Third Degree, which is a gross misdemeanor and punishable by a maximum of 365 days in jail and/or a $5,000.00 fine. There are no mandatory penalties if you plead or are found guilty of this crime and the fine will be discretionary on the Court. "Court Costs" vary by Court. If you are convicted, a mandatory $43.00 conviction is required to be imposed. Further, the Court may require you to be supervised by the probation department and you will be required to pay those fees as well.

4. Okorie Okorocha

1

1

Answered . An attorney may be able to work out a deal in which the charges are dropped and you just pay a sort of fine to the store. It does happen here in California.