Shoplifting caught at grocery store in Seattle

Asked 10 months ago - Seattle, WA

So I was caught shoplifing some groceries from grocery store in Seattle today. The total amount was $172. The security guy took me in the back room and asked my information( address, phone number, name, height and weight). I was informed that I will get the letter from court with date that I must attend and fine (up to $750) that I need to pay to the store besides the total amount of groceries that I stole (172) which was returned to store completely. The officer came but didn't go over anything but asked me why I did it.. I said I made a stupid mistake. I am international student and I was planing to get the job and live here. So I am really worrying about my immigration status later if I apply the green card. Would I have record that affect my immigration matter badly? Please help!

1. Mark C Blair

Pro

1

Answered . A conviction for the crime of theft can put you at risk for deportation. Please contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to explore you options for resolution of this matter.

2. Vitaliy Kertchen

1

Answered . You may be able to avoid a conviction if this is your first theft offense by working out a deal with the prosecutor. However, you'll need to either hire an attorney or apply for a public defender to negotiate on your behalf.

3. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Answered . I agree that shoplifting or theft are considered to be crimes of moral turpitude that would get you deported. You need to hire a criminal defense attorney and have them get you a plea bargain that falls under ICE's radar like disturbing the peace or some type of minor petty offense.