Shoplifting and getting sued by Walmart, they keep sending me letters to pay $450 dollars.

Asked 12 months ago - Miami, FL

Here is the edited version: I'm 17 years old, and they are send me letters to pay or that they will take me to court. They got the wrong name on the letter. Should I pay or not. Also It not really that I shoplifted just ate some Peanut Eminem's inside the store and check out with the stuff I was buying and completely forgot about the Eminem's. After a guy came and took me to the back. Told me I had shoplifted. My mom came and took me but they never told her she had to pay anything. They just let me go and never said anything and now I'm getting this letter, but it doesn't even have my legal name.

1. Jesus Novo III

3

Answered . Walmart has a right to sue you for civil theft, however it's unlikely they will. No one can advise you whether to pay the $450 or not, that is a decision you and your parents have to make.

2. Roger Scott Jr.

Pro

2

Answered . First of all, eating their food without paying is theft. You don't say whether or not criminal charges have been filed against you. If not, you are very lucky. Using "frank" instead of "Franco" is easily fixed. This will not prevent the from easily correcting it. They are allowed a statutory civil penalty that they can sue you for. Paying this cannot be used against you in the criminal case.

Last of all- don't ever put your real name out on the Internet like this!!!!! If the wrong person sees your post, you will be arrested and this post will be used as evidence.

Best idea? Pay the money right now and hope that nobody at the store saw your confession here.

3. Robert Jason De Groot

Pro

2

Answered . They usually only go after around $200 or $250 for the civil penalty, not $450. The statute says they can get a minimum of $200. You can probably talk them down.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239
  4. James Adrian Cueva

Pro

1

Answered . Wal-mart has a right to sue you under a statute providing a civil remedy for theft (i.e. civil theft). The fact they got your name wrong is largely insignificant. If you were not arrested, that's a good thing. If you hire a lawyer to represent you, the letters will stop coming.

5. James Regan

Pro

1

Answered . All this over M & M's? $450.00 seems like a lot of money!

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.
  6. Yoel Molina

1

Answered . Dont use your real name online. That said contact an attorney for free advice. You and/or the attorney maybe be to resolve this. That $450.00 sounds kind of high though