Shoplifting amended to Township Ordinance. Will this affect my N-400 Application? Got Interviewed at Santa Ana, CA - 2 days ago.

Asked over 1 year ago - Santa Ana, CA

Dec 2009, Shoplifting case - Woodbridge, NJ

On the court day, after meeting with a prosecutor, the lawyer told me I can either go to a trial or pleadge guilty to the township Ordinance 3-30.1 (prohebited act). My lawyer said this is a small charge like forgeting to cut the lawn. So I plead guilty to the Township Ordinance and pay the fine of $756. From the court transcript:
Judge: Sir, you're getting a bit of the benefit of the doubt today from the state, based upon the attendent facts and circumstances surrounding this matter
Judge: You are pleading guilty because you were acting generally in a disorderly manner and otherwise breaching the peace

Jan 07, 2013 - Santa Ana, CA - After the interview, Immigration Officer said the supervisor will look at this . If N-400 denied, what I do?

1. Alena Shautsova

Pro

1

9

Answered . It all depends weather what you plead guilty to is crime or not. It seems like a it's a small regulatory offense, and probably a violation. I 'd say you should be ok.

2. Meredith Riley Brown

1

Answered . It depends: assuming you are not on probation, and assuming it is not a crime of moral turpitude, you should be fine. Get a consult from a local immigration attorney.

3. Carlos E Sandoval

2

Answered . To qualify for naturalization you need to show good moral character for the last 5 years. Even if you were not convicted for shoplifting, if anywhere in the record you admitted to the elements of the crime immigration could use that to make a determination on your moral character. Probably that's the reason they are still looking at it, to see if anywhere on the record appears an admission.