Shoplifting ACD 4.5 years ago. Compliance questionnaire at new job! Please help!

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

Hi!
Just got a job in banking and they took fingerprints on 3 cards(not sure how this works). I am also required to fill out the compliance questionnaire. Do I need to disclose my ACD? The wording of the question is as follows:
Have you been involved in any event that was not resolved in your favor or subsequently reversed, suspended or vacated in a criminal or civil action in a court in which you were: convicted or pled guilty or no contest to a felony or misdemeanor, or were the named subject of a pending criminal proceeding (any of the foregoing referred to hereafter as "action")

1. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

5

Answered . In my opinion, no, because once the time for an ACD (Adjournment in Contemplation of Dismissal) to be finished has passed (usually 6 months) you should no longer have to disclose it since the charges are now dismissed.

2. Howard A. Schwartz

5

Answered . It sounds like you were named as the subject of a pending criminal proceeding that resulted in an ACD. If you do not mention that case that was dismissed and sealed, the employer might move for termination based on your answer. The question is not worded well but it is possible that your ACD might have to be disclosed. Good luck.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

Answered . Technically an ACD was an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal. Therefore, it was resolved in your favor- it was dismissed. It is unknown what charge was ACDed, was it a felony or a misdemeanor? If it was a violation, then it was neither a felony nor a misdemeanor. It may not have been a pending criminal proceeding if it was a violation. You can also answer yes and disclose it was an ACD which is relatively minor.

4. James K. Lyder

3

Answered . Assuming your ACD has expired without you re-offending, you do not have to disclose the matter since it was resolved in your favor and/or subsequently vacated.

5. John J. Carney

Pro

1

Answered . It is not a conviction, it was "in your favor" and you do not have to disclose it as it is considered a "nullity."