SHOPLIFTING

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I was caught with a $2000 bag in an store in Beverly Hills.
I didn't have the intention to take it.
But according to my lawyer the tape is an evidence against me.
Should I go to trial and tell my story even the tape show something different?

1. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . I am assuming you are being charged with grand theft? You may be able to reduce to a misdemeanor or you may be able to get a diversion program.

I know your lawyer says tape shows differently, why don't you watch it and see what you think?

Read my shoplifting guide maybe there's a defense there.
    http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/petty-thef...

Elliot Zarabi
    www.zarabilaw.com
    213-612-7720

2. Matthew Murillo

Pro

4

Answered . Your current lawyer will be in the best position to tell you what your case looks like. But, obviously, if you don't trust their judgment, that's a problem.

3. Benjamin Adam Arsenian

4

Answered . At trial, the jury will likely view the video tape as the best evidence in rendering a verdict. If you believe you can reasonably justify your actions on the tape and you don't feel comfortable with the plea bargain, then your only remedy is a jury trial. d

4. Greg Thomas Hill

1

3

Answered . If you did not yet leave the store, as you indicate you were still in the store, I am unclear how this case is being brought at all. Did you have a chance to pay for the bag? Were you arrested merely for carrying the bag around the store? Putting that issue aside, intent may be established by circumstantial evidence, so merely saying, "I did not intend to take the bag" really does not work. As to the video tape, I find such tapes usually only show you in the store walking around, which certainly does not establish the crime (unless you are also being charged with trespassing). As to going to trial and "telling your story," be careful. Jurors will lose patience with you quickly if your testimony wastes their time or appeals to sympathy. Be careful.