Shoplifting; ACD; Immigration Consequences

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am an international student on F-1 visa. I got arrested for shoplifting and have a court date in a few weeks. My lawyer said I can get ACD with some community service and may have to pay some fee. I have certain questions in regard with immigration consequences because of all this as I will have to get my visa renewed after some time..
1.) Is community service considered as conviction for immigration purposes?
2.) Is court fee paid only when we plead guilty? Is court fee or any other fine considered as conviction from immigration point of view?
3.) I read this statement online- 'An ACD is a restraint given as a result of an NY state rehabilitation statute. If so, then this may be a conviction'. Are there different types of ACDs?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a consultation with an immigration attorney. It is either that or facing the consequences alone. It is impossible to give this specific advice on this blog.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . No to all 3 questions. There is no fine with an ACD and it won't hurt you but it could cause a problem re-entering the US during the ACD period.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases.... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The immigration consequences of convictions depend on the exact language of the statute under which the conviction took place.

    You need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, including the court disposition and the charging documents, in order to advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  4. Dhenu Mitesh Savla


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . While I am not sure about the state's criminal statutes, my understanding is that anything except a case dismissal or finding of innocence is a conviction for immigration purposes. Shoplifting will likely also be a Crime Involving Moral Turpitude (CIMT). That said, it is a minor crime, and I believe will come under the petty crime exemption rules as long as no other CIMT exists.

    In this case, I generally recommend clients get a crime memo prepared by an immigration attorney that can be used for entry to the US and for any immigration applications. I have had a very good result with the memos our office provides.

    Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,434 answers this week

2,551 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,434 answers this week

2,551 attorneys answering