Skip to main content

Shoplifted and interview for n 400

Carrollton, TX |

I had fingerprint on 09/27/13 and on 10/13/13 made mistake ,was arrested for i received letter from USCIS for interview , what i need to do please advice, i do not have any papers for my arrest because case no was filed yet . Can you advice me what i need to tell them when they will ask about my criminal record.This is my first arrest in my life.Happened in Texas
Thank you

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Tell your examiner the truth--exactly what you described here. If you still don't have a final court disposition, the examiner will give you time to get those documents, and delay making a final decision. In the meantime, get an immigration attorney looking at the criminal issue instantly. Depending on the final outcome of the case, this could impact not only your ability to naturalize, but could put you at risk for being placed in removal proceedings.

  2. Best to withdraw or not appear at your N-400 interview. No matter what you are ultimately convicted of, petty theft or simple "trespass to chattels" ( if hire a smart private criminal defense attorney and NOT a free "public" defender) , you will still not b e able to be naturalized, since you'll be given probation of at least 3 years. Someone on probation is not eligible for citizenship.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. This is a very delicate situation, and of course, you need to contact a good criminal law attorney that can help you with any and all issues that may come up. You should never lie, but also, you will need to fight the criminal charges in order to evade any issues.

    Good luck!

    ADVERTISING MATERIAL The content provided by this attorney is offered only as a public service to the web community and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. Comments by this attorney should not be used as a substitute for obtaining legal advice from an attorney licensed or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. You should always consult a suitably qualified attorney regarding any specific legal problem or matter. The comments and opinions expressed by this attorney on this website are of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of any firm. Nothing on this site is intended to create an attorney-client relationship and nothing posted constitutes legal advice. Neither the transmission of the information contained on this site nor your use of the information or communication with this attorney creates an attorney-client relationship between you and this attorney. No information communicated to this attorney through this site will be protected by either the attorney-client privilege or the work product doctrine. An attorney-client relationship can only be created by the mutual assent of both parties and only after a consultation. This attorney cannot agree to be retained as counsel until a conflict-of-interest check is completed and a written engagement and fee agreement provided by this attorney is signed by you and this attorney. Some jurisdictions may have laws and regulations that differ substantially from one another. This attorney does not, through this site, seek to represent anyone where this site may fail to comply with the laws and ethical rules of that jurisdiction. The information contained on this website may be considered "Attorney Advertising" in some jurisdictions. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision, and should not be based solely on information obtained from advertising content. This site may contain descriptions of the attorney’s legal experience and outcomes of certain prior matters. However, each legal matter is composed of unique issues and the attorney’s descriptions are not intended to promise future results. The outcome of your case may vary from that of any other representation undertaken by this attorney, and any discussion of prior results on this website does not guarantee a similar outcome. ADVERTISING MATERIAL.

  4. You must seek legal advice immediately to determine if this offense puts your Legal Permanent Residency at risk (might not be the case, but must check before your interview). Also, you will probably have a problem to demonstrate the "Good Moral Character" requirement to naturalize.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics