Shoplift in Kohls, Stafford VA. What are the consequences?

Stafford, VA |
Filed under: Shoplifting

Hello,

Today I was caught shoplfting a necklace and 2 pairs of earrings at Kohls in Stafford, VA. It was about 52 dollars. I regret it of course, but I want to know the legal consequences. I signes a no trsspasing agreement and other paper they gave me. I was very nervous so I dont remember much, but I have read that in many cases they dont recommend paying Kohls what they ask in the letter they send 4 or 6 weeks later. Is that true? Otherwise, wat should I do? is this dstaying in my record?? Thank you!

This is a criminal matter, a Class 1 Misdemeanor. You can receive, as a maximum punishment, one year in jail and/or a $2,500 fine. For a first offense, active incarceration is often not imposed. You need to consult a criminal defense attorney as soon as you can. With regard to the letter that you will possibly receive, you can talk with the attorney that sends you the letter or consult with a local attorney to represent your interests.

Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback. This answer is only for informational purposes, is not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Every case is different and must be judged on its own unique facts.

I handle cases regularly in Stafford. Feel free to call for a free and confidential consult.

Sincerely,
Darren Meyer
www.darrenmeyerlaw.com
(540) 840-8470

If you are found guilty or if you plead guilty, it will stay on your record forever. It will stay on you record even if you are found not guilty, unless you get it expunged. It is important to try and remember everything so you can give your lawyer all of the facts. Please do not post any more information about the case online (as this is a public forum); I highly encourage you to call a criminal lawyer as soon as possible, so that you can receive a consultation privately.

This is not legal advice: it is intended to be used for general informational or educational purposes only. For a free case evaluation, visit FairfaxCountyCriminalDefense.com.

Shoplifting topics