Skip to main content

Sheriff's office unable to serve foreclosure papers. What happens next?

Pembroke Pines, FL |
Filed under: Foreclosure

My ex-husband and I own a home that is currently in foreclosure. They served him the other evening with the civil action summons. They were also looking to serve me, but I was not there (and he told the woman that I no longer lived there). What happens now? Will they try and locate me? Should I call them to have them mail it? I have heard that they will place an ad in the newspaper. Please advise. Thank you.

Attorney Answers 2

  1. They will try to locate you. If they can't, they will publish in a newspaper and then you are deemed to have been served with papers, even though you have not been served personally. You should eventually talk with an attorney whether paid or pro bono because FL Supreme Court has ordered mediation on all foreclosure cases.
    Please click on the website. It does not cost anything. Thank you.

  2. You should talk with a Florida Foreclosure Lawyer to see how to handle this matter and what defenses you may have to the lawsuit. It is possible to get approval from the court to serve you by publication. The problem with this is you may not know when you are "served". You can contact them or have a lawyer contact them on your behalf to represent you in the matter.

    David Goldman
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    3733 University Blvd West, Suite 212B
    Jacksonville, FL 32217

    Tel (904) 685-1200 Fax (904) 212-0678

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics