She received Permanent Resident with Category IR6 (10 years) - Can She loose since our marriage is in jeopardy ?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Orlando, FL

Received her permanent card IR6 (10 years) this January but her & I are seeking marriage counseling almost every week. We are scared to loose her permanent residence if I divorce her (I have a U.S Passport..) Please help. Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . If she has an IR6 card, then she is not a conditional resident. Although she's not required to prove up the marriage, it may be scrutinized when she goes to naturalize. If you married in good faith but are just incompatible, make sure that's what the divorce record reflects and be there for her when she has her natz interview.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Only if the marriage is fraudulent.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,583 answers this week

3,048 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,583 answers this week

3,048 attorneys answering