She bought the farm 4 years ago.we were not married yet so I didn't put my name on the title.

Asked over 1 year ago - Mukwonago, WI

We own another house we bought in 2004.I fixed it up but we couldn't get our money back so I rent it.Back to the farm,our agreement was I fix it up she supply's the materials.When we get married my name will go on the title.I have been with her for 10 years,Iam 2 years in to my marriage,We recently refinanced and all I was doing was doing was initialing the papers indicating my wife was refinancing.I felt be trailed, my marriage has never been the same.My wife just recently had a real estate lady come and look at the house.My wife was un aware of the lady had been in the house 4 years ago when it was up for sale.She was shocked at what I pulled off in 4 years.My wife is a Dr we having nothing but high end every thing.I was able to do 90% of the work,If a contractor had done the work 300,+

1. Teri M. Nelson

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Title is irrelevant in Wisconsin. This is a marital property state and once you marry, all of the property of both parties becomes marital. With that said, the court will often give a party credit for property brought into the marriage in a divorce, especially if it is a short marriage. However, it sounds as if you have a very good argument that your efforts increased the value of the property substantially so this may offset any claim she would have for a credit for pre-marital assets.

I think you are reading too much into this house issue. You may be using this example to amplify other feelings and issues you have about your marriage. If you are interested in continuing your marriage, you need to discuss these feelings with your wife and possibly go to marriage counseling.

If you are not interested in continuing your marriage or have other concerns, our office offers free initial consultations and we handle Waukesha county divorces. Call us at 414-258-1644 to schedule an appointment.

2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

2

Answered . Wisconsin is a Marital Property state. This is a form of community property and ownership is not determined strictly by title.

This is really something you should be discussing with your wife, and possibly a marriage counselor, not posting online to a bunch of lawyers. It has to do with trust and communication issues between the two of you.

3. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

2

Answered . Your wife is alive so I assume this is an estate planning question. What's the question?