Sexually harassed by my landlord. What are my options?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flushing, MI

I rent a home. My landlord has texted me several times asking for naked pictures. I have told him this makes me uncomfortable and it's not professional. He told me that he would mow the lawn free (lawn care is not in my lease) if I would send him the pictures. He also told me that he "would do anything" if I didn't tell his wife. I need to know what my options are, please help!

1. Kevin Rindler Madison

Pro

3

Answered . Contact an attorney who handles personal injury and tort claims for legal advice. Save those texts. This may violate landlord-tenant laws in your state so you may also want to contact a non-profit Tenant Rights group in your area for some legal advice. Save all the evidence and text messages. You can take pictures of the text messages with an i-phone or smart phone.

2. Cristine Wasserman Rathe

1

Answered . I would like some additional information before posting any particular advice. It is generally illegal to sexually harass tenants but at this point I don't think the landlord has caused you enough damages to warrant filing a lawsuit. You may want to contact the Michigan Department of Civil Rights to get some assistance. The main issue is that most likely this landlord will figure out a way to interfere with your lease and though you may ultimately be successful in a lawsuit, not having a place to live can cause even more issues.

Pro

2

Answered . A local lawyer can send a cease and desist letter.