Sexual harassment while on business trip.

Las Vegas, NV |

Hi,

I was recently in Las Vegas with my company producing a conference. A business partner called my phone and began asking me to come to his room and take a baths with him. When I told my supervisor she said, "You probably were leading him on." I've never been so insulted!

Today the company lawyer was brought in to discuss the matter. I felt like it was an interrogation of me. They wanted to know times and places. I didn't have an attorney and I know that the partner and my supervisor have been communicating about this.

What should I do? The events happened in Las Vegas. We are based in another state. I can't afford an attorney on my salary!

Please help!

Use the "find a lawyer" tool on AVVO to find a local plaintiff employment lawyer. Most give free consultations, and will take the case on contingency if they want to represent you. The lawyer should be in any meeting with you. Act fast.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Without more information it is not possible to give an opinion about this. The best advice would be to set an appointment with an attorney who specializes in employment law and sexual harassment cases. Then after a thorough review of all of the facts, they can give you an opinion as to whether you have a viable claim, and what procedural steps you should take. Many attorneys handle these cases on a contingency percentage fee, taking a percentage of the recovery. In contingency fee arrangements, there are no hourly fees. In some states attorneys do not charge anything for an initial appointment to discuss your case but in others there is a reasonable fee charged to compensate the attorney for their time and advice. I would suggest that you begin your search for an attorney on this Avvo website. There is a tab "Find A Lawyer" on the home page of Avvo at www.avvo.com that will help you find a lawyer in this practice area in your locale. Good luck!

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

It is not unreasonable for the company to respond to your complaint by asking you for details about times and places, especially if the business partner has behaved inappropriately on more than one occasion. This shows they are at least taking your complaint seriously. If other people continue to suggest you were leading him on or "asking for it," though, I would consult with a local attorney. You can search Avvo for an employment law specialist in the state that you work in, who can advise you what particular laws apply to your situation and help you evaluate whether you have a solid case under state or federal harassment laws and whether the company's response is sufficient to address it.

I am a California attorney who practices in both California and Federal Courts. My answers are based on California law and practice, which may not be applicable in your particular circumstances or the jurisdiction where your claim has or will be filed. Answers I have posted on this website are for general information only. No attorney-client relationship is or shall be created through this answer, and you should not delay speaking to an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction because of any answer posted on Avvo.

I agree with my colleagues that you should find a local employment law attorney. You should also be keeping notes yourself of dates and times, not only of the business partner's inappropriate behavior, but also of comments from your supervisor and the company's investigation. If what you have described is the sum total of what has occurred, and the business partner is at the same level in the company as you, then it is unlikely that you can do much more at this point. However, you do want to talk to an attorney and keep notes as I suggested, because you never know whether his conduct will continue or whether the company might respond improperly to this or other incidents in the future.