Sexting Amoung Teenagers-Should I press charges? What is the schools responsibility

Asked almost 4 years ago - Woodbridge, VA

My daughters friends phone was stolen, on the phone was a picture of my daughter and her two girlfriends "mooning" in the mirror. This picture was taken a year ago. But recently the person who stole the phone took the picture off the phone and send it via email and text to all those on his contact list during school hours. What are my daughters rights? How and what questions should i be asking the school?

1. Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Answered . You need to speak with a prosecutor. You may be able to press charges against whoever sent the photos out. In addition, if the people in the photos were under 18, there may be an issue with child pornography. For anything further, talk to a local attorney.

[This communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

2. Erick Masten Platten

Pro

Answered . Hello there,

Children are sending these text messages to one another not knowing the consequences of their actions. I don't know how old your children are but child pornography is serious and can have both state and federal implications.

It's not good that these images made their way to the internet because these images are going to be flipped and traded amongst people seeking child pornography and every time these images are viewed your child is being victimized.

You need to speak with a lawyer that specializes in sex crimes and federal child pornography to determine if the images you have described would be considered pre-pubecent images.

Sincerely,

Erick Platten