Skip to main content

Sex offender and child custody.

Lansing, MI |

My boyfriend is a sex offender. He is currently on probation for the crime. He has permission from his probation officer to be around my children, and I am always there when he is around them. My question is can my children's father take my kids away from me? Or what would be the most likely outcome if he took me to court about it? My boyfriend does not live with me and he only stays over on nights when my children are with their father. My boyfriend has never showed any ill intentions towards me or my children. Is there anything else I should be aware of moving forward as well? Thank you in advance. We live in Michigan and he is a Tier II offender.

Attorney Answers 2


It would depend if the father wants to change the custody situation and what the specific offense your boyfriend was convicted of. I would suggest contacting an attorney to discuss the issue in further detail.

Scott Nichol is licensed only in the State of Michigan. All answers provided relate only to Michigan law and are made for general information purposes ONLY. They are NOT intended to be legal advice and are NOT intended to create an attorney-client relationship between Mr. Nichol and any readers or subscribers to Scott Nichol Attorney at Moody & Nichol, PLLC East Lansing, MI (517) 583-0520

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


All child custody decisions are based upon what is in the best interest of the child...

It sounds like you are a loving caring mom and taking precautions.. but no matter what your decision to continue seeing your boyfriend with his past and minor children might be used against you..

There is no way anyone can tell what decision a judge will make about this situation.. there are too many other factors involved..

Please note that I answered this question with general knowlege of the law and with limited disclosure from you, my answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and I cannot be held responsible for how you, the asker, use the information provided. If you want to contact me directly and retain my services you may through my listing on this site or at 248-901-0750 or

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics