Several years ago I contacted my neighbor for damages his overgrown tree trunk and roots have made to my property.

Asked about 1 year ago - Reseda, CA

The owner (attorney) of the property told me to contact his insurance company, which denied my claim by stating "IT WAS AN ACT OF GOD" therefore not covered. Since then about 20 fee of the block wall was pushed out and collapsed on my sidewalk, there is a big opening between my house and his house (rented) which causes me to not being able to have any animals or children in the yard, but also has become a dangerous area to walk for anyone who comes in my property. The roots of his tree have lifted and cracked the sidewalk and the foundation of my house. What are my right? please advise.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire a lawyer to sue the homeowner neighbor. He/she can deal with their insurance company, it's not your problem. One of them has to pay. Don't waste your time anymore. Use the "find a lawyer" tool on AVVO.

    We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute... more
  2. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The owner of the tree is responsible for damage caused by the tree. I agree that you should contact your insurance company, his insurance company, send him a written demand by certified letter.
    You may also want to contact a lawyer, but there is no reason to delay submitting insurance claims.

  3. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Have an attorney make a claim with the insurance company and/or file a lawsuit.

    I'm a real estate broker as well as an attorney.

Related Topics

Residential property

Residential property is real estate that has been developed or zoned to be used for living, such as single family houses, apartments or mobile home parks.

Neighbor law

Neighbor law deals with the legal rights and responsibilities involved with having neighbors. Examples include boundary disputes, noise, and blocked views.

Carl Engstrand

Arizona - Dog Bite Common Questions

This article’s purpose is to give the reader a brief glimpse into the aftermath of a dog bite. It is not intended as a full picture of a dog bite case. If you or a loved one is the victim... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,132 answers this week

3,898 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,132 answers this week

3,898 attorneys answering