Settlement Offer

Chino Hills, CA |

My attorney received the settlement offer after car accident I told her that I will think about it. Can attorney without my signature accept the offer? How much time do I have to think? How does it work???

The attorney had better not accept without your blessing!

Discuss your concerns WITH YOUR LAWYER! None of us on this board want to second guess what is going on there!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

You need to schedule an immediate appointment with your attorney.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

These are good questions...that you should be asking your attorney. That's why you retained her to represent you. That said, your attorney will not settle without your authorization. How much time you have depends on some factors such as whether you have a statute of limitations approaching, or a trial or hearing coming up, etc. Your attorney may be in the process of continued negotiations. Please contact your attorney, ask your questions and discuss your expectations and hers regarding the value of the case. Good luck!

General answers to legal questions such as this should not be construed as legal advice. Please consult with an attorney in person to obtain legal advice.

No. Meet with your attorney to discuss the offer.

Your attorney is obligated to notify you of any settlement offers and how the proceeds would be distributed if you were to accept it. This is a good time to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the case with your attorney and to develop a plan for further negotiations or preparation for trial. Your attorney should discuss the current and anticipated future costs and the potential for a settlement or judgment above the current offer. The final decision to accept or reject any settlement offer is yours to make.

This response applies only to California law, is not intended to be legal advice to any individual and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Your attorney certainly should NOT accept any offer without your prior approval. This is your claim or case, and you are the ultimate decision maker. As for how much time, it depends on whether the offer contained a "time limit." You should discuss the offer and whether there is any time limitation with your lawyer.

You should discuss this with your attorney.

Nothing in this communication should be construed as creating an attorney client relationship. This is for informational purposes only. Attorney will take no action on your behalf unless and until a written retainer agreement is signed. There are strict time deadlines on filing claims and, as such, you are advised to consult with and retain an attorney immediately to file such claims timely or you will lose any right to recovery.

Your attorney cannot accept a settlement without your consent. Granted, you can give your attorney authority in advance, but if you haven't done so, the attorney must obtain your approval. How much time you have to think about it depends on the nature of the settlement. If it was made pursuant to Civil Procedure code 998, you have a limited time. Same if the offer itself contains a time limit. Otherwise, there is no real time limit, but the longer you wait, the more the chance the other side might take back the offer.