Settlement Offer

Asked about 2 years ago - Chino Hills, CA

My attorney received the settlement offer after car accident I told her that I will think about it. Can attorney without my signature accept the offer? How much time do I have to think? How does it work???

1. Donald Steven Sjaarda

Pro

6

Answered . Your attorney is obligated to notify you of any settlement offers and how the proceeds would be distributed if you were to accept it. This is a good time to discuss the strengths and weaknesses of the case with your attorney and to develop a plan for further negotiations or preparation for trial. Your attorney should discuss the current and anticipated future costs and the potential for a settlement or judgment above the current offer. The final decision to accept or reject any settlement offer is yours to make.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

5

Answered . The attorney had better not accept without your blessing!

Discuss your concerns WITH YOUR LAWYER! None of us on this board want to second guess what is going on there!!

3. Max Draitser

3

Answered . No. Meet with your attorney to discuss the offer.

4. Sheldon S Saints

Pro

4

Answered . These are good questions...that you should be asking your attorney. That's why you retained her to represent you. That said, your attorney will not settle without your authorization. How much time you have depends on some factors such as whether you have a statute of limitations approaching, or a trial or hearing coming up, etc. Your attorney may be in the process of continued negotiations. Please contact your attorney, ask your questions and discuss your expectations and hers regarding the value of the case. Good luck!

5. Steven Mark Sweat

Pro

2

Answered . You should discuss this with your attorney.

6. Thomas Henry Schelly

2

Answered . Your attorney cannot accept a settlement without your consent. Granted, you can give your attorney authority in advance, but if you haven't done so, the attorney must obtain your approval. How much time you have to think about it depends on the nature of the settlement. If it was made pursuant to Civil Procedure code 998, you have a limited time. Same if the offer itself contains a time limit. Otherwise, there is no real time limit, but the longer you wait, the more the chance the other side might take back the offer.

7. Jeffrey Mark Adams

3

Answered . You need to schedule an immediate appointment with your attorney.

8. Jason Paul Roth

3

Answered . Your attorney certainly should NOT accept any offer without your prior approval. This is your claim or case, and you are the ultimate decision maker. As for how much time, it depends on whether the offer contained a "time limit." You should discuss the offer and whether there is any time limitation with your lawyer.