Settled case while on Medicaid but just got approved. What should I do?

Atlanta, GA |

I was approved for Medicaid three weeks ago and settled my WC case two weeks ago. I haven't even received my Medicaid card yet. What should I do? Can I still use Medicaid because I still need insurance and i am still unemployed? Will this be a violation?

1. Meet with a Medicaid attorney to determine if your settlement unduly impacts on Medicaid. You amy need a Special Needs Trust.

2. When you receive your settlement you must report it. However, I agree with my colleague in that you can likely use a special needs trust to get the benefit of settlement, while continuing your medicaid.

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., of JoyDisability, is an attorney licensed in New Jersey, but currently practicing federal Social Security Disability law in all 50 states from her PA office. Answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship, nor do they constitute legal advice. Rather, if you need representation or legal advise, you need to make direct contact yourself, and inquire. We welcome and respond to all phone calls and emails.