Skip to main content

Service of order to show cause

New York, NY |

I filled the order to show cause against my soon to be ex husband who is not paying child support. The judge signed the documents. When the documents should be served to my ex?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


In the Order to Show Cause itself which the judge signed, they usually direct you on when and how to serve your ex. Read it over. If they did not so direct, then you should call the Judge's law clerk or secretary to get direction. The safest thing to do if you don't know, is to arrange for personal service on him. That is always the best route. You will need to have him served and have whoever serves him (you can not, and it can't be anyone uner 18 years of age), will need to fill out a proper affidavit of service and have it notarized and then filed with the court. Be sure to at least get a consultation with a family law attorney as you dont' want to do this wrong and have to start all over.


check the OSC, the judge gave you a deadline. Usually it is the last paragraph of the OSC


The order to show cause directs at the end who is to be served, how they are to be served and by when they have to be served.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.


You need to read the order to show cause cover page which was signed by the Judge. It should indicate the method of service and the latest date that the papers can be served

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer