Skip to main content

Sept of last year i went into a house that has been abanded for approximatly 5 years it has been going

Neenah, WI |

through foreclosure and appeals well tried the squatters law was on the property for about 5 hrs cleaned it up and the cops showed up today i found out i was charged with criminal trespass and criminal damage i damaged nothing and the police know that i do admit to trespass what to do

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Do not post details about what happened to give rise to charges on the Internet - especially with your name!

Talk to a local criminal defense lawyer. If you are indigent, contact the Public Defender's office. Do this now!

By the way, the minimum time it would take for you to get any legal right to the property would be ten years,and that would be unusual!
I do not know that you are guilty or that they can prove it. Do NOT tell me more so that I know.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Chad Russell Thomas

Chad Russell Thomas


I'll add: If you can delete this, please do so. The DA could very easily find this and use it against you.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


I agree with Mr. Thomas, if you can delete this question, you should.


First, as the other attorneys have noted: STOP TALKING ABOUT THE FACTS ON THIS WEBSITE! Second, both charges require knowledge that you did have the owner's permission to be on the property or to do what you did to the property. If what you did INCREASED the value of the property, depending on other facts, you might have a defense and certainly your attorney has ammunition to argue with the prosecutor about how the case should be resolved.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer