Separation Agreements and CA Civil Code Section 1542

Asked about 6 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

In a separation agreement when a employee is fired, is it customary in the state of California to have a clause that says you waive and relingquish all rights and benefits under California Civil Code Section 1542? Would it be out of the question to ask the employer to make that a mutual (both company and employee) waiver?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Marshall William Waller


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . That would be a very normal and reasonable request.

Related Topics

Legal separation and divorce

A legal separation and a divorce are different because a separation does not end the marriage. Spouses live apart and remain married.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,859 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,859 answers this week

3,189 attorneys answering