Sentenced to 5y third DUI- given 5y probation- 2y done-paid restitution-still owe court costs -counseling not done. If i turn

Asked over 3 years ago - Tampa, FL

myself in and serve the time - could I get a break- have a great probation officer - says to wait until my judge gets moved out next year. Judge said not early termination of probation at sentencing - so likely no breaks for me. Can't find a job want to move out of Florida and never come back.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Alan Cohen

    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should check with attorney who represented you at the time of your plea. If the plea was specific about no early termination and it is in the file, the Judge changing probably will not matter. If you were told not to expect early termination, you can always file a motion asking for it. Most Judges require you to have finished all the terms of your probation, so you will need to pay the court costs and do counselling, and served at least half of your probationary period (21/2 years).

  2. Robert Louis Miller


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Thank you for your question.

    In most states, you can serve time, or do community service, instead of paying a fine. But make sure that you clear it with your probation officer first, especially if you have a good relationship with him or her.

    I hope that this helps, but if you have any other questions, feel free to post here. It's my pleasure to help in any way that I can, and best of luck to you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,953 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,953 answers this week

2,970 attorneys answering