Skip to main content

Sent letters to a judge asking for leniency and extension on classes, his response was No Court Action+ am I going to jail?

Leesburg, FL |

I had a felony turned misdemeanor and was sentenced to a 60 day jail sentence or do 29 weeks of BIP classes and pay $800+ in court fines, I lost my job and went to South Dakota to work the bike rally [missing 6 classes] in order to pay off my bills. I havent paid anything to my court fines because of the lack of income I receive that finances only my child necessities and my rent/utilities. Me, My Pastor and Victim in the case [father of my child] wrote letters to the judge asking for leniency on the fines and extension on my classes. I looked up my case online and it says Judge Response: No Court Action, but Defendants Request has been denied. Its my first offense & I am in Florida. Am I going to Jail? Did he say no court action because hes about to issue a Warrant? Any answer?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Not yet, it just means the judge denied your request. If you are on probation there may not be much time to extend the class deadline. That class takes forever to complete so hopefully you are already enrolled. Make sure that you complete everything without a financial component.

  2. Sending a letter to the judge will result in nothing because the judge isn't going to just respond to your letter. If you want something done then you need to file a proper motion. The motion must be filed with the clerk of court and a copy provided to the state attorney. Contact the judge's assistant to schedule a hearing.

    The judge may not have much ability to change the "fines" and court costs since most may be outside of the judge's jurisdiction. Set it for a hearing so this can be discussed further in open court.

    This is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

  3. A warrant will likely issue once your time has expired for completing the terms. You should prepare yourself to do the 60 days. Or better yet, hire a lawyer to properly request an extension or modification.

    This content is informational only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

  4. It is hard to say. It could mean that the Court is not taking any action in response to your letter as it is not really a formal motion. The judge could be issuing a warrant or perhaps not doing anything until he gets something saying from the clerk indicating your failure to pay fines or communication from the BIP program that you missed classes. Either way i would get a lawyer to look into it immediately because if you have a suspended sentence and did not complete your conditions you are looking at jail time. Hopefully that is not the case and I hope a Leesburg criminal lawyer will step in to further advise you on your question.

    Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-588-6714 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.

  5. He put in no court action because he is not extending nor is he ordering a warrant at this time. You should talk to the lawyer you originally had representing you and see what might be done. Starting payments and classes again is better than holing up and hoping it will blow over.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics