Sending n-400 applications for me and my wife in one envelope

Fairfield, CT |

Hello, myself and my wife are just about to send the n-400 application for citizenship but are confused if we should send them in separate envelopes? or use one main envelope with both applications inside. each application will have a check for $680, two sets of passport photos and a photocopy of each green card front and back. since we want to be able to go to the interview and fingerprint together.

thanks for the help

1. You can send them in one main envelope. However, I would (to be safe) include them in 2 separate envelopes marked N400 and your name and A# within the larger envelope. This will enable the mail room to identify them as 2 separate packages. In terms of attending the interview and fingerprints together there is no guarantee even if the applications are filed together. You can include a cover letter requesting the same and the schedulers MAY accomodate but the applications will be handled as individual applications. Once the applications reach your local USCIS office, however, you have a bit more help. I would recommend making an Infopass appointment for the same day as your biometrics. Note that if you are scheduled for separate biometric's dates each office usually has "open" days for biometrics so you may be able to go together on the open scheduling day if the dates are different. At that time, you can ask that the 2 cases be scheduled together for the interview. No guarantees but the field offices usually try to accomodate.

Also, in the interview carry letters to give to the officer asking that the oath ceremony be on the same day as well. Again, they will try to accomodate but scheduling is not always easy. It will be your responsibility to follow up with USCIS to make it happen.

2. You can send them in one envelope, just be sure to have paper clips or binder clips for each application. You may want to write on the outside of the envelope "N-400 x 2 enclosed" just to give an additional heads-up.

If you have any hesitations or concerns, please consult with an immigration attorney.

3. I would insert each application in a separate envelop then put them together in one mailer. You should be fine.

If my answer was helpful, please mark helpful or select as the best answer. It encourages me and other lawyers to answer your questions.

4. Yes, you may send them in one envelope, just separate them as two different packages with their own applications and supporting documentation. Make sure to have two separate checks however.

Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey. Contact immigration attorney Gintare Grigaite, Esq. for a free consultation about new Immigration Reform policies. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.