Selling the house in divorce decree

Asked over 4 years ago - Silver Spring, MD

my ex wife not signing papers to sell the house, we been divorced for 2 years, kids are leaving in the house 21 and 26, 26 is married. I AM paying the mortgage and i want to sell the house and move on

Attorney answers (2)

  1. William C Wood

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . If she is required to sign a listing agreement as part of the divorce judgment, then you can file a motion to enforce the order. Otherwise, you can file a petition requesting the court to order the sale. I would recommend consulting with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your options in detail.

  2. Stuart H Grozbean


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Your question does not indicate whether you have a separation agreement or the sale of the house was part of the Court Order after a trial. If you have an agreement you can consider filing for a Contempt to enforce. If it is only by Court Order you may file for partition and sale of the home and other relief. You can ask the Court to grant you financial relief by crediting you for payments made on the mortgage. Sit down with a lawyer for a more detailed analysis and options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,711 answers this week

3,099 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,711 answers this week

3,099 attorneys answering