Selling the house in divorce decree

Asked over 4 years ago - Silver Spring, MD

my ex wife not signing papers to sell the house, we been divorced for 2 years, kids are leaving in the house 21 and 26, 26 is married. I AM paying the mortgage and i want to sell the house and move on

1. William C Wood

Answered . If she is required to sign a listing agreement as part of the divorce judgment, then you can file a motion to enforce the order. Otherwise, you can file a petition requesting the court to order the sale. I would recommend consulting with an experienced family law attorney to discuss your options in detail.

2. Stuart H Grozbean

Pro

Answered . Your question does not indicate whether you have a separation agreement or the sale of the house was part of the Court Order after a trial. If you have an agreement you can consider filing for a Contempt to enforce. If it is only by Court Order you may file for partition and sale of the home and other relief. You can ask the Court to grant you financial relief by crediting you for payments made on the mortgage. Sit down with a lawyer for a more detailed analysis and options.